Make your meetings more effective
I wrote these pointers to help our staff people at BNI and in networking in general, but it applies in all manner of situations too;
- Listen. Sounds easy, but actually listen to people, listen to their challenges, you may be able to help them, or know someone who can, this will build your credibility.
- Don't judge. If they are not great at getting their message over, don't just dismiss the idea, underneath it could be the perfect opportunity.
- Pace yourself, don't muddy the conversation by going off topic, we can all think faster than we can speak so concentrate on what it is you want to get across.
- Be enthusiastic, if it is something that interests them, don't dismiss their energy just because you don't like it, share their excitement.
- Don't assume, we have all heard the saying, "never assume it makes an ass out of u and me", but it really can damage your proposal if you haven't understood the requirement properly.
- Concentrate, it is easy to get distracted, especially when someone is detracting from the point, but keep heart and try and steer the conversation back.
- Keep calm, don't get over excited, and don't get over emotional about topics.
- Be structured, takes notes and follow up on actions promised.
|Back to News Page|